Helping Kids With Better Oral Care – it’s EASY!
Most adults know how to brush their teeth well enough (although the generic advice given in dental offices really leads humans astray). Helping kids properly can be tough. My sister has 3 of them, under 6 and it’s like herding stray cats.
One of the biggest issues and debates in oral care is to use fluoride or NOT. Fluoride does help remineralize the teeth; in fact, it’s the only thing the ADA accepts. Unfortunately, fluoride is toxic (especially to small bodies) and let’s face it, kids don’t really rinse their mouth out when they are done brushing, and even if they did, the oral cavity absorbs EVERYTHING almost instantly (it’s why medicine is pushing in the direction of oral applications)!
Fluoride is also also heavily prevalent in our tap water (we get plenty of what we need if fluoride was the actual answer). The truth is that it’s not the ONLY thing that remineralizes teeth. In fact, the real issue with oral care problems with children is lifestyle (and perhaps oral care products for kids, kind of, well… sucking).
Here are some of the things you can teach your kid NOW.
- Don’t rinse after brushing. If they are using something beyond nontoxic (that’s edible like our tooth powder), they don’t have too. They can brush in bed or wherever and get the benefits OF NOT RINSING WITH ACIDIC TAP WATER. Almost all tap water is acidic.
- If they don’t have the motor skills, get them to use an electric toothbrush. There are ones out there designed for tiny hands.
- Invest in tap water filter system. While it may not make your water alkaline, it can reduce acidity and take chlorine out which is NOT going to help dental health. Then tell them to drink water even after sugary sodas, snacks, etc. etc. Always drink some water when you’re done consuming anything, unless it’s our tooth powder OR our oral care mints coming. Seriously, our mints are going to be sooo amazing! More news later…
- Make sure they take a vitamin/mineral supplement. Not only is it PARAMOUNT to how they develop, but it’s proven in science over and over that kids and adults with lower mineral blood assessments (like strontium and boron) will get cavities no matter what commercialized “fancy”paste they brush with.
- Being skeptical is a good thing. Always question the advice you get from dental professionals. Caps, crowns, fillings, surgeries can all lead to future health problems as your teeth are connected to your entire body’s meridian system. Do your research before committing to anything you’re told is “standard.”
Kid friendly ORANGE CLOVE, is really sweet, orange-y, and not spicy. It’s beyond NONTOXIC (and it’s edible).
It helps support remineralization, creates favorable conditions in the mouth and neutralizes acid. It does not have to be rinsed out!
Depending on your child’s age, we’ve heard that Power Mint, Citrus Mint and our Licorice Mint are flavors kids enjoy. If your child doesn’t
like “spicy” OR they are just too young for a strong cinnamon flavor, the Orange Clove is a good choice!