A: Great questions and concerns here. These are two separate issues and I’ll address them as such. Although your jaw clenching is no doubt causing your dental crown issue. I’ll explain.
Jaw clenching (teeth grinding) is also called bruxism is considered a sleep disorder, but unfortunately it does very bad things to your teeth, like fracturing. It’s a problem for many people. I suspect with the stress and fear emotions that are running rampant these days, that far more people are finding themselves with this condition.
Your dentist can help you with the aftermath, but won’t be able to help much with the problem behind it. Some people wear mouth guards to prevent damage for jaw clenching and I suppose at first, it’s wise to get one outfitted by a dentist, but this should be WHILE you are working on the issues behind it.
The symptoms of jaw clenching (teeth grinding) are:
- Teeth grinding or clenching, which may be loud enough to wake up your sleep partner
- Teeth that are flattened, fractured, chipped or loose
- Worn tooth enamel, exposing deeper layers of your tooth
- Increased tooth pain or sensitivity
- Tired or tight jaw muscles, or a locked jaw that won’t open or close completely
- Jaw, neck or face pain or soreness
- Pain that feels like an earache, though it’s actually not a problem with your ear
- Dull headache starting in the temples
- Damage from chewing on the inside of your cheek
- Sleep disruption
The people that are AT RISK for jaw clenching have these factors:
- Age (sometimes younger kids get this; it’s common to start early)
- Personality Type (hyperactive, aggressive, competitive)
- Medications (antidepressants, tobacco, too much caffeine, alcohol, rec drugs)
- Other Disorders (personality, ADHD, epilepsy, dementia, GERD)
Natural Solutions for Jaw Clenching / Teeth Grinding (that I know of):
- MAGNESIUM. You are right to take this! This mineral that supports 300 enzymes with 90% found in muscle and bones (teeth), is probably not EVEN CLOSE to the estimated deficiency level of the US population, at 20%. I would guess it’s more like 80%.
If you crave chocolate, it’s either telling you need magnesium or iron. If you don’t and you’re: fatigued, you have general weakness, nausea, sleep issues, or muscle twitching, you need to take it.
It will help with sleep, heart health, mental and physical relaxation, proper nerve function and of course, many other things!
- Take a sleep supplement. There are many combos out there. For example, ones with Valerian don’t work well for me. I’m one of the few that get amped on it. I like ones with L-theanine, Melatonin and CHERRY. Cherries have high melatonin content and I suspect melatonin is better in natural form.
- EXCERCISE. Anything related to stress reduction cannot be taken for granted, especially during COVID. Everyone has got to do it, to keep their immune system healthy. If you are waiting for the miracle cure (or shot), you’re doing yourself a disservice. Find something you like to do physically and do it daily FOR FUN.
- STRESS CONTROL. You can only control your own self and your own emotions. If you have to ditch your phone, cut your TV off, never watch the lies on the news again and go live in Mayberry (like us), do it! Design a stress reduction program that works for you. I cannot meditate, but I can go sit and be quiet for a while!
- PARASITE CLEANSE. I bet you didn’t think I’d throw a curve ball like that? Believe it or not, if you have NEVER done a parasite cleanse in your life, you may be completely shocked out what you can visibly see come out. These things can be lab analyzed also and they will be a combination of: protozoa, helminths, flatworms, tapes, pinworms and flukes. Some you can see with the naked eye.
I hate to be so gross, do don’t shoot the messenger. Most people find that doing a parasite cleanse can free up energy so much so, that you feel like you just took steroids! The same can be said of those who fast and then eat.
Unfortunately our medical system won’t easily test your parasites (in most cases) and give you corresponding medicine. I find this sad, because veterinarians will.
All health issues stem from an imbalance and parasites feed off you.
Bottom line, parasites can make you clench your teeth and are way more common than people like to think. If you don’t believe me, you can check out this medical study (3rd party, of course). There are dozens of articles that support this link, although not readily found or mentioned.
QUICK TIP: I think full parasite KITS are best because they have more of a shotgun approach. They require you to also modify your diet. They can make you feel really rotten in the duration, so best to these things when you’re feeling healthy- PLAN IT OUT.
Continue reading about dental crowns here.